Sunday, May 30, 2010

Family Camp with Mumi

Mumi has asked me to join her at Family Camp in Bommer Canyon for many, many years now. And I decided that Logan and I were ready to take her up on her offer. She has been a docent in the Laguna Canyon Wilderness for as long as I can remember, and even gets to lead two hikes on this camp. One up a steep hill at twilight, and another the next morning, she is so knowledgeable about So Cal bugs, wildlife, history and plants that everyone is tuned in, parents and kids (and even one teenager) Impressive!

Beautiful Bommer Canyon! This place is so amazing, it is literally in the middle of a neighborhood in Irvine, but once you are there you would NEVER know it. Its peaceful, quite and full of nature!

Mumi lead a hike all the way up this steep hill, she didn't think Lo could make it, but here he is at the top! The best part of this hike was all the neat things we stopped to see on the way to the top. Mumi taught all about the Spanish leaving the mustard, and what the Native Americans used all the native plants for. Best part was the stink beetle all the kids got to hold and the tarantella (just ask Logan).

Me and Lo at the top!

After all that hard work hiking, nothing beats s'mores and songs around the campfire with people you love. Check out the amount of marshmallow on my hoodie, geez, did any even get eaten??



A boy and his Mumi enjoying a s'more




And here is Mumi leading the morning hike I was telling about, check out the way she takes charge of all those kids. She lead that hike in true elementary school teacher fashion! I love to see her enjoy her favorite part of the job she just retired from. Just the kids and learning! Very cool to see.





Ok, now this is NUTS!! Check this kid out, I swear its Logan's twin!! Same age, born a month a part. You just don't see that everyday!






This past March (My camera died on the way so no pics)Lo, Mumi and I travel to the desert to see the wild flowers in bloom. Its true we did see some wild flowers, but I really wanted to see some blooming cactus, and they were not in bloom yet. So what a special surprise to see blooming beaver cactus in IRVINE of all places. But it made my spring complete.
Thanks Mumi for the invite, we had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment